Cybersecurity – What you need to know
Cyber security is the application of technologies, processes and controls to protect secure systems, programmes and networks from cyberattacks. Cybersecurity’s main aim is to protect against unauthorised exploitation of systems and reduce the risk of cyberattacks across all networks and technologies. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) require companies to implement appropriate security systems to protect personal data. Cyber security is a pressing business issue for every cooperation.
View Technology Jobs
Elements of Cybersecurity
Cybersecurity can be broken down into multiple sections, the coordination of these systems is crucial for cybersecurity systems to be successful. Some of these sections include:
- Cloud security
- Network security
- Operational security
- Critical infrastructure security
- End-user education
To keep up with everchanging security risks, a more proactive and adaptive approach is necessary to protect systems against the biggest known threats. A number of cybersecurity advisory organisations offer guidance. For instance, the National Institute of standards and Technology, advise adopting continuous monitoring and real-time assessments framework as part of a risk assessment framework to fight and prevent any unknown cyberattacks or threats.
Cybersecurity is comprised of multiple vendors and tools; these elements contribute to its success. Common security tools used are, firewalls, endpoint protection, antimalware, encryption tools and vulnerability scanners. These are all but a few of all the tools that make cybersecurity so complex and successful.
Importance of cybersecurity in 2021
Cybersecurity is among the top priorities for any company in 2021. Online workplace platforms heavily rely on effectiveness and reliability, trusting in their information and data remaining confidential and secure. When it comes to budget planning and allocation, cybersecurity has to be prioritised. Any company’s future essentially depends on this kind of security.
Development of the digital age
In the 1960s many large antivirus companies dominated the cybersecurity industry with the introduction of new technologies to manage and control cyberattacks, but now corporations are faced with much more well-organised attacks, therefore there is a demand for more innovative and creative solutions.
Everyday there are new developments within technology. 5G network is one of the most current technologies, allowing connections between virtually everyone and everything. According to The Brookings Institute, networks are at a much greater risk of a cyberattack with this new network. These new cyber ecosystems require a much more defined cybersecurity.
Thankfully since 2014, new strategies have developed such as artificial intelligence and machine learning. Alongside these, behavioural detection has been employed by new players in the industry such as Red canary, Norton LifeLok and CrowdStrike. These are among many other cybersecurity companies’ evolving their techniques and cutting-edge technology every day to fight and ever present threat of malicious activity.
Cyberthreats come in many forms, some of these include:
- Malware – is a malicious form of software where any program of file can be used to harm computer users. The main types of malware include viruses, Trojans and spyware.
- Ransomware – is another type of malware. This kind of threat involves a cyber-attack on your software and data, locking your systems mainly through encryption and demanding payment for it to be returned.
- Advanced persistent threats – these kinds of attacks are prolonged in which an attacker infiltrates a server or network and remains undetected for long periods of time. Their aim is to steal data with these kinds of attacks.
- Phishing – This form of attack, you have more than likely been exposed to yourself. Fraudulent email or text messages are sent out with the intent to steal sensitive data, such as credit card details or login information. These messages and email always resemble a reputable or known source that you use.
Career opportunities in cybersecurity
As cyberthreats become more frequent there is a constant demand in this technology field for individuals with the hardware and software skills required to manage these threats. Many of these roles include chief information security officers, security engineers and security architects. It is vital for companies to remain ahead and keep cyber threats to a minimum.
What is Hybrid Cloud?